How to find the barrett family in buffalo

Find your perfect recipe

Great food to indulge in here, including hamburgers and chicken tenders!

New Buffalo High School Alumni Forum

Our last selection's great one if you're seeking that awesome Barrett sports bar vibe combined with Tex-Mex food. You can get your fill of all those tasty spicy appetizers and entrees while you throw back delicious beers and enjoy your evening out on the town with your friends! The on-tap selections are seemingly endless, and that there is news that makes us very happy! There are lots of televisions here too, not just inside, but even out on the patio. Our limo bus traveling sports fans really appreciate that! The big kahuna burger has always been a major fave of ours here and wee also adore the wings.

This is one of our favorite places! It would be tough to make a bad selection on their generously sized menu of delicious fare! Buffalo Wild Wings. Emilie died in During summers, they seem to have spent time in New England, where they were close friends of George Huntington's family. They consist of about 20 outgoing letters to the George Huntington family, during the late 19th and early 20th century. There are also six outgoig letters from Frederick W. Rodney Paine was born to Emilie and Frederick in He graduated from Princeton in The collection contains no papers of Rodney Paine, but he is frequently mentioned in letters by other family members BOX During the summer she often spent time in New England, where she enjoyed visits with her "cousin" Catharine Huntington.

Advertise with Buffalo Rising

These are important, because the Barrett's had many investments and Lucy managed them herself for the many years after her husband's death in When the house was finished in , Elizabeth, being a city girl at heart, was reportedly unhappy to move two miles north of town into the first house built outside the stockade. Moses Porter was only 33 years old and left behind a young widow and an eight year old daughter, Elizabeth. He had no children by his marriage, but had three illegitimate daughters by a Miss Herron. Arria was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, January 22, In , a man named Charles Phelps came to the farm to help out for a few days. After the death of James Atwater Barrett in , his widow took their three daughters to Concord son George was already working by that point and later moved to Chicago.

The collection contains letters written to Catharine while Molly was at school and these often mention a boy named Thatcher. So it is interesting to see that more than ten years later, on May 16, , Mary Paine married this young man, Thatcher Washburn Worthen. He was born in , graduated from Dartmouth and then received a degree from Amherst.

In , the couple was living in Hartford, Connecticut. Most important are the letters to "cousin" Catharine Huntington between These tell of a teenage girl's friendships, school, and social life. There are also about 10 letters to other members of the Huntington family. In with letters to Lilly Huntington , is a copy of Mary's wedding invitation. Charles Phelps was born on August 16, , probably in Northampton. He was the son of bricklayer, Nathaniel , who also carried the title of Lieutenant.

Charles followed his father to become a successful bricklayer. He was also a lawyer in Hadley.

John P. Barrett, MD

In he was "read out" of the Hadley Congregational Church, because he would not attend communion. Shortly afterwards in , he became an early resident of New Marlborough, Vermont. On April 24, , he married 25 year old Dorothy Root. She died September 11, and Charles soon remarried in November of His second wife was Esther? Kneeland of Boston, the widow of Timothy Kneeland. Charles Phelps died in April Charles Phelps Sr. They include his own notes on the births and deaths of his family members. There are letters to his son Charles in the s.

Of some importance is correspondence concerning his separation from the Hadley church, as well as correspondence with Harvard College about his son Solomon. Financial and legal papers include deeds of the ss and indentures for servants. These are important documents of Hadley's early history. Phelps is also interesting for his involvement in the New York - Vermont boundary dispute. Charles Phelps was born in Hadley, Massachusetts in August of He was actually Charles Phelps Jr. Although Charles was not formally educated, he was a very successful and prominent man.

He became a lawyer and also a wealty farmer when he married Elizabeth Porter on June 14, He went to live with his wife and mother-in-law and took over management of the family estate at "Forty Acres. Charles immedately began expanding and improving the house and farm. In , he built a large barn and in , a chaise house. According to family tradition, Phelps was a self taught architect and may have made the plans for many improvements himself.

By the time of his death he had altered the house dramatically and reportedly enlarged the farm to nearly a thousand acres. To help with the farm work, Charles Phelps owned two slaves, a man named Caesar and a young girl named Phyllis. He was in charge of two bond servants, several apprentices, as well as numerous seasonal farm hands. Charles Phelps did not spend much time on the farm himself. He was very busy with his work as lawyer and politicial. As representative for Hadley in the Massachusetts Legislature, he was often away from home on trips to Boston.

  1. find history vehicle vin number!
  2. Share this article.
  3. " + theResponse['DishTitle'] + ".
  4. For Accurate Quotes....

He served the following terms , , , Phelps was also Squire of the town of Hadley, deacon of the church, and chairman of the building committee for the new church in From until his death, Charles was a Trustee of Hopkins Academy. Because of his professional success and the many architectural changes he made to the house, Charles Phelps is perhaps the most important person in the history of the Porter-Phelps-Huntington house. In , after suffering declining health for many months, Charles Phelps died at his home in Hadley.

The papers of Charles Phelps Jr. Charles Phelps' papers are contained in BOX 4. They include incoming and outgoing correspondence. Of interest are two letters from his brother Solomon in about the War. There is also an interesting one from his slave Sezor Caesar who was fighting at Ticonderoga in There are a number of letters to his wife and to his son Charles while he was in Boston studying in the s and 90s. These discuss the farm and animals, journeys back and forth to Boston, town government and politics, and the family's general health.

The plans for travel between Hadley and Boston are of particular interest. Miscellaneous financial and legal documents are in chronological order. These include a tax assesment of his estate, deeds of land purchased, indentures of servants, and receipts of slaves. A division of Phelps' estate was drawn up by his son Charles Porter in See also the oversized materials box. He was fitted for college by Reverend Joseph Lyman of Hatifeld. In , he began his studies at Harvard, graduating in At that time, he changed his name to Charles Porter Phelps.

He then went to Newburyport, to live and study law with Theophilus Parsons. There Charles met his teacher's niece, Sarah Davenport Parsons see Sarah Parsons Phelps biographical sketch and the two became very close. He was admitted to the Bar in and opened a law practice in Boston. However, he felt he was unsuccessful as a lawyer, barely earning enough to pay his expenses. In April of , he closed his office and went home to Hadley.

There he spent the summer superintending the alterations of his father's home to make it suitable to accomodate two families. Charles planned to marry Sarah Parsons and move to Hadley with her, the following spring. Finally, after eight years of aquaintance see his autobiography for a description of the relationship , the two were married in Newburyport on January 1, However, Charles' career plans had changed and the Phelps' chose to stay in Boston, while he formed a business partnership with Edward Rand.

They carried out a merchant business from No. Unfortunately, this partnership was cut short by the death of Mr. Rand in a duel, during the summer of Charles continued the exporting business, with varying success, until , when he was employed very briefly as cashier of the Massachusetts Bank. In , he began his political career as a Boston Representative to the State Legislature. With the fluctuations in his success as a merchant, Charles and his family had made a number of extended visits to his parent's home in Hadley.

In , he had received a large profit and decided to use the money to build a new house on his share of the ancestral acres in Hadley. This later became known as The Phelps Farm.

The barn was ready for his Merino sheep later that year and by the house was ready for family occupancy. Sadly, Sarah Phelps never came to reside in the new home. She died of typhous fever in the midst of the family's move to Hadley. Her cousin Charlotte came there to help with the five children and in time she became Charles' second wife. They were married in and had four more children. The Phelps children had a tendency to be sickly and many died young. Charles Porter Phelps termed his sheep raising a failure, but continued to run his farm. He attained increasing success in Hadley as a lawyer and selectman.

Between and , he served ten terms as Hadley representative in the Legislature and in , was Senator of the Hampshire district. Like his sister, Elizabeth Phelps Huntington , Charles converted from Congregational to Unitarian in the early 19th century. For a very detailed account of his life and business in Boston, see the autobiographical sketch in BOX His autobiography is an extremely detailed document. This tells of his life, including his career, courtship of his first wife, the family's health and growth. Charles also writes about politics and government, with several pages on the War of There are a few folders of outgoing correspondence to his parents, his sister, and Sarah Parsons before their marriage.

The bulk of his papers are financial. These include bills for his studies at Harvard, account books of and , and shipping bills and insurance between A few legal papers are deeds for land in Hadley, See also the oversized materials box for his commission as major, by Governor Caleb Strong. In the box of his sister, Elizabeth Phelps Huntington , BOX 13 , is a folder of material about her posthumous exoneration by the Hadley Congregational church. This also includes information on Charles Porter Phelps' conversion to Unitarianism in the s.


Elizabeth was born in , the only child of Moses and Elizabeth Porter. At the age of five, her family moved from the stockaded center of Hadley to the new house built by her father in Only three years later, her father was killed fighting in the French and Indian War. Elizabeth also called Betty, Bette, or Betsy continued to live on the "Forty Acres" farm outside of town, with her widowed mother, but under the watchful eye of her father's family in Hadley.

In , a man named Charles Phelps came to the farm to help out for a few days. Elizabeth mentions this casually in her diary, but there is no further mention of him until the preparations for their marriage began. The two were married on June 14, Charles moved into the house with Elizabeth and her mother and took charge of the farm.

Elizabeth was very active socially and seems to have entertained guests at her house almost continuously. She acted as a midwife and ministered to the sick in the community. Along with several servant girls and one slave girl named Phyllis, Elizabeth Phelps carried out the household production of large quantities of soap, butter, and especially cheese. On this large farm, the women were sometimes feeding more that 20 farm hands in addition to the regular household members.

Elizabeth raised two children, as well as a girl named Thankful Hitchcock who she treated like daughter. After her children had grow and moved away, the Phelps' grandchildren came frequently to spend extended periods of time on the farm at "Forty Acres. Elizabeth Porter Phelps' papers, in BOXES , are an extremely valuable resource for studies of women's history, household affairs, and mother-daughter relationships.

Her diary kept between and , is a remarkable document, as she wrote in it faithfully every week. The first few years are mainly about religious concerns, but later she tells of life in the house, visits of friends, births and deaths of townspeople, and family events. This diary is supplemented by correspondence to her daughter Elizabeth Huntington bulk to give a full picture of this woman's life and family.

The letters tell about household work, servants, visits with Charles Porter Phelps and his family, trips to Boston, and hopes for Huntington family visits to Hadley. There was a strong mother-daughter bond between the two women and their correspondence is a valuable source for information on these relationships in the early 19th century. Typed copies of the letters are in BOX 6.

There is also outgoing correspondnece to Elizabeth Phelps' son, her husband, and friend Penelope Williams of Roxbury, Massachusetts. Sarah was the daughter of Moses Parsons of Haverhill.

  • Privacy Policy (Updated: 12/14/18).
  • find free email addresses for people.
  • pay your legal fees online!
  • montgomer county marriage license records.
  • Barrett's from Ennistymon, County Clare, Ire./NY;

She was apparantly orphaned, because she spent her teenage years with her grandmother in Boston. Sarah met Charles Porter Phelps in when he came to board and study with her uncle Theophilus Parsons in Newburyport. Two years later, her grandmother died and Sarah came to live with the Newburyport family. Sarah and Charles Porter Phelps were married on January 1, Sarah stayed on with her uncle in Newburyport for three months after her marriage, while her husband was on the family farm at "Forry Acres" in Hadley. She joined him there for the summer and in the fall the couple moved to the south end of Boston.

Sarah Phelps lived with her husband in Boston, giving birth to seven children before she died of typhoid fever in There are notes written by her after her marriage in The bulk of her papers are letters written to her mother-in-law, Elizabeth Porter Phelps between and Susan was the youngest child of Charles Porter Phelps and his second wife Charlotte.

She grew up in Hadley, apparently attending school in Amherst, where she is said to have been a classmate and close friend of Emily Dickinson. In , Susan was engaged to Henry V. However, in , she broke the engagement unexplainedly. Five years later, Susan died, supposedly of a broken heart. However, she is important to researchers, because of her close friendship with Emily and Susan Dickinson. Notes on Susan from Jay Leyda's book are also included in this box. The Pierce's forebearers were a wealthy Newburyport family. Dean was born in Newburyport on July 16, He married Louisa Bowditch see her biographical sketch below on October 31, They lived in Brookline.

The papers of Jacob W. There is also a passport granted to him in See also the boxes of legal and oversize material for an account of his estate and documents relating to the family shipping business. Louisa Bowditch was born in Brookline, Massachusetts, on April 25, She was the grandaughter of famous navigator Nathaniel Bowditch and youngest daughter of William. Louisa attended private schools and became an accompolished pianist and self taught botanist. On October 31, , she married Dean Pierce. On April 4, , Louisa died in Brookline, having lived there all her life.

These include a journal of her trip to Europe in and about 20 pieces of outgoing correspondence. There are letters received from childhood friends in the s, as well as others received in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. See the letters written to her in the s by her father, William Bowditch. These are in the form of wonderful little fairy stories. Elizabeth Pitkin was born in She was the daughter of Nathaniel Pitkin of Hartford.

The couple apparantly lived within the town stockade, where Moses is said to have built a small house for them near his parent's home. In , at the age of 28, Elizabeth Porter gave birth to a baby girl, also named Elizabeth. According to family stories, Elizabeth grew unhappy with the crowded conditions of life in the Hadley stockade and convinced her husband to build a new house for the family on his northern lands. Here, however, the family stories seem to conflict. When the house was finished in , Elizabeth, being a city girl at heart, was reportedly unhappy to move two miles north of town into the first house built outside the stockade.

She became more disturbed in , when her husband went to fight in the French and Indian War as Captain of a town regiment. Letters to Moses at this time, tell of her fears that he would not return. Then on September 8, , those fears came true. Again, family history relates this tragedy.

Captain Porter's sword was brought back to Hadley by his Indian body servant. Elizabeth, hearing a knock at one of the north windows, pushed back the heavy shutter and the sword was handed in to her. She immediately understood the significance of this gesture. Elizabeth was thus left alone with her eight year old daughter on this large farm so far from town.

The two seem to have lived with family in Hadley for the winter and there was some talk as to whether or not they would move back to the big farm in the spring. Elizabeth chose to do so and she hired a kinsman named Worthington to manage the farm. He lived with the two Porter women until , when the younger Elizabeth married. Her husband, Charles Phelps moved in and took charge of the farm.

It is perhaps surprising that Widow Porter never remarried, as she was only 36 years old when Moses died and was certainly a wealthy woman. It is said that she never recovered from the loss of her husband. She was apparantly depressed and sickly for the rest of her life and stories say she took up the "habit" of the day, opium and alcohol. However, these tales may be unfounded, as Elizabeth was 89 years old when she died in There are only a few papers pertaining to Elizabeth Porter.

These are contained in BOX 3 with those of her husband Moses. They consist of correspondence between the two in , when Moses was away fighting in the French and Indian War, right before his death. Moses Porter was born in Hadley, January 13, The couple lived in or near Moses' parents home within the Hadley stockade. Although, not formally educated, Moses was a wealthy man. In , he was executor of his father's large estate and inherited a great deal of land from it. In fact, by , Moses and his family had acquired ownership of practically all the tract of land known as "Forty Acres and its skirts.

By , conditions within the town stockade had become crowded. Moses Porter decided it was time to move north to "Forty Acres" and build a new home for his family. On May 27, , the roof was raised. By December, the house was apparantly ready for occupancy and Moses moved his wife and daughter in. The new farm was a large and successful one. According to his estate inventory, Moses Porter owned 61 acres of farm and 50 acres of skirt, along with acres of land elsewhere in town.

He also had a one seventh share of the saw mill in North Hadley. Moses owned three horses and a colt, two steer, a bull, a yoke of oxen, four heifers, four cows and calves, as well as numerous smaller animals. He was one of few men in town to own a riding chair and a sleigh, in addition to the usual farm equipment. To carry out all the work on such a large farm, owned two of the 18 slaves living in the town of Hadley at this time, and probably had additional farm hands and indentured servants.

Moses Porter was also a military man. Moses Porter was only 33 years old and left behind a young widow and an eight year old daughter, Elizabeth. These help to document the early years of the house and farm. They consist of several letters to Elizabeth in , while he was fighting in the War.

Also included are a number of deeds for land Moses purchased in the s and 50s. Excerpts from the diary of Sarah Porter give dates of the construction of the house. The original is on microfilm at the Jones Library. Also of great importance is the inventory of Moses Porter's estate, which can be found in the oversized materials box. Edmund was born May 15, in Biarritz. His mother died the year after his birth.

His father married again in , to Mary Honey, who later adopted Edmund as her son. Edmund graduated from Harvard in He is a portrait and landscape painter, having also published some poetry. He has lived in Italy much of his life. She was the daughter of Alessandro and Palmira Fontana Biamonti. The Quincy's have one adopted son, Daniel.

The Moment

Edmund Quincy was a good friend of Catharine Huntington and his papers, in BOX , contain five folders of letters to her in the s. There are also two folders of clippings, programs and photographs of his paintings. He wrote a short piece called "On a Visit to Hadley", which was published in in his Legends and Conditions. In , Mr. Quincy donated a large number of papers to the Porter- Phelps-Huntington Foundation.

These include letters received by him, in the s and 70s. They are from a wide range of friends and a few from his son, Daniel. These letters are in BOX , but they have not been processed. Fanny grew up in Northampton, moving to Boston with the family in the late s. There she married Josiah P. Quincy on December 23, She died December 11, BOX , the Quincy Family box contains three outgoing letters from Fanny and seven letters received.

In the s, Fanny's uncle, Theodore G. Huntington , wrote sketches of his life in Hadley in the form of letters to her. Copies of these are contained in BOX From , Josiah was Mayor of Boston. In , he married Elen Krebs in London, England. She died four years later in Biarritz.

Josiah married a second time in New York to Mary Honey. He died on September 19, Josiah was the son of the Honorable Josiah Quincy of Boston. He was born November 28, On December 23, , he married Helen Frances Huntington. They lived in Boston. He died October 31, Amelia, the first child of Epes and Hannah Sargent, was born in Gloucester in She married in , to a man named Hoffman. She died in with no children. These include three outgoing letters and an copy book. Epes Sargent, born March 7, , was the fifth Epes of the Sargent family who had been in Gloucester since the s.

His grandfather and great grandfather had been ship owners, but the former remained loyal to the King during the Revolution and lost the family fortune. At the age of five, Epes was orphaned. He and his sister grew up in the home of his grandfather Foster. In , when Epes was only 14, he sailed to Canton as a cabin boy on the ship "Eliza. At this time, the family pulled up their long Gloucester roots and moved to Boston. The partnership continued until the s, when business losses compelled Sargent to take to the sea again.

He aquired interest in the Brig "Romulus" and made three trips to St. Petersburg, Russia. A fourth trip to Russia was made on the "Volga. In , the Sargent family, choosing to try life in the country, sold the Boston house and bought a farm in Milton, Massachusetts. This experiment did not last long, however, and in , they moved back to Boston to a house on Western Avenue.

Apparantly a rather restless family, they later moved to a house at Hartford Place and finally to Roxbury. There Epes Sargent died on April 19, During his life, Epes was married three times and had 12 children. Mary Otis Lincoln - See her biographical sketch below. These include letters written to his grandson in the s and 50s, telling the story of his life. They describe his sea travels in great detail, providing a good deal of information. His portrait is in the Porter-Phelps-Huntington House. The sixth Epes Sargent was born in Gloucester, September 27, He was the second son of Epes and Hannah Sargent.

In , his family moved to Boston where he grew up, attending Roxbury High School. At the age of 15, Epes went on a voyage to Russia with his father.

Contact Us Today...

He did not take to the sea life, however, and went on to become a successful writer and editor. Epes Sargent attended Harvard for a few years, but did not graduate. This did not seem to hurt his career and he soon became an editorial writer for The Boston Daily Advertiser and The Atlas. In , Epes returned to Boston and married Elizabeth Weld By , he had become Editor of the Boston Evening Transcript.

In addition to editing, Epes Sargent wrote a number of plays and edited poems. He is perhaps most famous for compiling The Standard Speaker and The Standard Reader, which were in common use in Boston schools for many years. He had no children by his marriage, but had three illegitimate daughters by a Miss Herron.

These were said to be the result of a "spiritualistic association" and were recognized by Epes and his family as his children, but they were never legally adopted. These include five letters to his nephew George Huntington in the s and 70s. There is also a pamplet written by him in , entitled "Does it Matter at All. An original portrait hangs in the Porter-Phelps- Huntington House.

George Sargent, was born to Epes and Hannah Sargent, in He grew up in Boston, but later chose an adventurous western life. In , he moved to Iowa and married Mary Perin, the following year. He and his family were living in Davenport, Iowa in , when he opened the bankhouse of "Cook and Sargent. However, he felt the pull to the west and in , the family moved on the Duluth, Minnesota. George died there in , but many of his ten children and their families continued to live in Duluth well into the 20th century.

Papers of George Sargent include only two letters to George Huntington in These are in BOX In , she was living in Lenox, unmarried, devoted to gardening. These include about 20 outgoing letters to members of the Huntington family in the late 19th and early 20th century. James, ninth child of Epes Sargent V , was born in in Boston. He died in , unmarried with no descendants. There are about 25 letters to his nephew George Huntington in the ss.

He was a lawyer and well known journalist, and also did translations of Latin and German literature. Children: Georgiana Welles Sargent - See biographical sketch above. John O. He was involved in publishing the Treasury of the Psalter with George Huntington and there are several letters to George in the collection. His obituary provides some biographical information. The dispute over his will in 47 is also included and gives geneological data.

" + theResponse['DishTitle'] + "

Bless the Barrett Family - Bob Barrett grew up in South Buffalo on Woodside Ave. He was a friend to all he knew and was loved all who were. William Barrett. Photo added by FamSearcher . Family Members. Spouse. Photo Abram Ray Barrett. – See more Barrett memorials in.

She grew up there and was a school mistress. The children of Epes Sargent , by his previous marriage, attended her school and there the two met. Mary became Epes' third wife in She lived with him and his children in Boston and Roxbury, increasing the family with five more children. Mary Sargent died on December 3, in Roxbury. For more information, see his biographical sketch. Mary O.

Raising All Blacks: The Barretts

There is also a small piece of needlework done by her, and most importantly, her will of He was born January 12, On November 6, , he married Ruth Huntington who was his second cousin, the grandaughter of Dan Huntington. Late in life, Ruth and Archie were apparently on the farm every summer, spending the winter months nearby in Northampton. Ruth died first and Archie followed two years later on September 19, Was a major 20th century composer. These include some to his wife, Ruth.

She was the first child of George and Elizabeth Huntington Fisher. She grew up in Oswego and in , married John Sessions They lived in New York City where he was a lawyer. Elizabeth died July 24, There she was very close to her cousin Catharine and the other children of George Huntington. Hannah attended Radcliffe College.

Then on December 15, , she married Paul Shipman Andrews. He was a lawyer, born August 2, Hannah and Paul lived in Syracuse. They include letters to her Huntington cousins. John Sessions, son of Ruth and Archibald , was born May 21, John graduated from Harvard in The couple lived on the Phelps Farm, which John had modernized and improved for winter living.

There, he carried on the family dairy business until his death in Doheny Sessions outlived her husband by many years and continued to run the farm. In , she received a Master's Degree in education. Huntington's death in , was Curator until Disputes Between Landlords and Tenants There is a wide variety of possible disputes between landlords and tenants that can arise.

From rent payments to discrimination to property damage, almost any problem a landlord or tenant has can be a potential legal issue. Considering Bankruptcy If you are considering bankruptcy, you may have a lot of questions. Here is what you need to know before meeting with an attorney. Bankruptcy Advice If you are in deep financial trouble, you may be desperately looking for bankruptcy advice. Our Buffalo lawyers have the experience to guide you through the legal process. Bankruptcy can be stressful.

Especially if you have questions about life following bankruptcy. The good news is that it will not take very long. If you are going through a divorce, you may be worried about dividing retirement plans between you and your spouse and if it considered equitable distribution.